So much for that highly-anticipated game between No. 3 Michigan State and No. 4 Kansas in the championship of the Maui Invitational. Virginia Tech didn’t cooperate on setting up a Spartans vs. Jayhawks showdown by upsetting Michigan State 71-66 Monday in the first round of the Maui Invitational.
The loss to the Hokies sends the Spartans into the consolation bracket where they will face Georgia on Tuesday, while 6-0 Virginia Tech will play Dayton in the semifinals.
The loss to Virginia Tech was the second time the Spartans have been defeated this season. Michigan State, the preseason No. 1 team in the AP Top 25 poll, lost 69-62 to Kentucky on the first night of the season.
Kansas had no problem advancing to the semifinals. Devon Dotson had 19 points to lead the Jayhawks to a 93-63 victory over tournament host Chaminade. Kansas will face either BYU or UCLA in the other semifinal.
2019 Maui Invitational
All times ET
- Game 1: Dayton 80, Georgia 61 —Recap
- Game 2:Virginia Tech71, No. 3 Michigan State 66 —Story |Analysis
- Game 3: No. 4 Kansas 93, Chaminade 63 —Recap
- Game 4: UCLA vs.BYU, 11: 30 p.m. (ESPN2)
- Game 5: Georgia vs. No. 3 Michigan State, 2: 30 p.m. (ESPN2)
- Game 6: Chaminade vs. Game 4 loser, 5 p.m. (ESPN2)
- Game 7: Dayton vs. Virginia Tech, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
- Game 8: No. 4 Kansas vs. Game 4 winner, 10: 30 p.m. (ESPN)
- 5th place game: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner, 2: 30 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2)
- Championship game: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner, 5 p.m. (ESPN)
- 7th place game: Game 5 loser vs. Game 6 loser, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
- 3rd place game: Game 7 loser vs. Game 8 loser, 11: 30 p.m. (ESPN2)