A series on the use and abuse of words; why you often can’t define a word any way you like; how human brains seem to process definitions. First introduces the Mind projection fallacy and the concept of how an algorithm feels from inside , which makes it a basic intro to key elements of the LW zeitgeist.
A guide to this sequence is available at 90 Ways That Words Can Be Wrong .
- Taboo Your Words
- Replace the Symbol with the SubstanceFallacies of Compression Has Consequences Sneaking in Connotations Arguing “By Definition” Where to Draw the Boundary? Entropy, and Short Codes Mutual Information, and Density in Thingspace Superexponential Conceptspace, and Simple Words Conditional Independence, and Naive Bayes Words as Mental Paintbrush Handles Variable Question Fallacies
- ReadLists: http://readlists.com/9c3edb () This article is a (stub) . You can help Lesswrongwiki by expanding it . (Read More )
- The Parable of the Dagger. The Parable of Hemlock Words as Hidden Inferences Extensions and Intensions
- Similarity Clusters Typicality and Asymmetrical Similarity The Cluster Structure of Thingspace .
- Disguised Queries
- Neural Categories How An Algorithm Feels From Inside (Disputing Definitions Feel the Meaning The Argument From Common Usage Empty Labels
2019 Ways That Suboptimal Use Of Categories Can Have Negative Side Effects On Your Cognition
Podcast: (http://castify.co/channels/) – less-wrong-a-human-s-guide-to-words
- Podcast: (http://castify.co/channels/) – less-wrong-a-human-s-guide-to-words