Friday , October 23 2020

Apple is offering the FBI 'no substantive assistance' in unlocking two iPhones related to a shooting case, says Attorney General Barr – INSIDER, Business Insider


                    

  • Attorney General William Barr told reporters Monday thatApplehas given the FBI “no substantive assistance” in its investigation into a deadly shooting last month at a Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida.
  • The FBI hasasked for Apple’s helpunlocking two iPhones used by the shooter, a request Apple has refused.
  • Apple previouslyrefused a similar request from the FBIfollowing a deadly shooting in San Bernardino, California, setting off a fierce public debate over whether the company should be required to offer the government tools to counter its own encryption technology.
  • Barr’s statement Monday indicated that the FBI and Apple are still at odds over the issue, which the company has framed as a matter of preserving users’ privacy.
  • )Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Attorney General William Barr told reporters in a press conference Monday that, “so far, Apple has not given any substantive assistance” to the FBI in its investigation into a deadly shooting at Pensacola, Florida, Naval Air Station .The FBIsent a letter to Appleon January 8 asking for its help unlocking two iPhones used by the shooter. On Monday, Barr said that Apple has refused that request.“When the FBI requested information from us relating to this case a month ago, we gave them all of the data in our possession and we will continue to support them with the data we have available, “an Apple spokesperson said last week.

This is not the first time Apple and the FBI have butt heads on the issue.

In 2020,Apple refused a similar requestfrom the agency to unlock an iPhone used by one of the shooters in the San Bernardino case, On the grounds that doing so would require Apple to give the FBI tools to counter the company encryption, creating a “backdoor” that could be used to access other devices. The FBI ended up suing Apple for defying the court order, though it ultimately dropped the case after finding a private company to help it unlock the phone.

Agency officials have repeatedly criticized tech companies’ use of encryption, saying that it prevents law enforcement from following leads and obtaining evidence that could aid in an investigation.

“This situation perfectly illustrates why it is critical that the public be able to get access to digital evidence once it has obtained a court order based on probable cause, “Barr said during the press conference Monday.Civil rights and privacy advocates , such as the ACLU, have praised Apple’s defense of encryption, arguing that allowing law enforcement access to devices could pose risks for activists, journalists, and persecuted minorities in

“There is simply no way for Apple, or any other company, to provide the FBI access to encrypted communications without also providing it to authoritarian foreign governments and weakening our defenses against criminals and hackers, “the ACLU said in an emailed statement to Business Insider.

Monday’s press conference confirmed that, for now, Apple is doubling down what it sees as its commitment to user privacy by refusing to assist the FBI in its investigation.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read the ACLU’s full statement below: “Like four years ago, the government demand would weaken the security of millions of iPhones, and is dangerous and unconstitutional. Strong encryption enables religious minorities facing genocide, like the Uyghurs in China, and journalists investigating powerful drug cartels in Mexico, to communicate safely with each other, knowledgeable sources, and the outside world. There is simply no way for Apple, or any other company, to provide the FBI access to encrypted communications without also providing it to authoritarian foreign governments and weakening our defenses against criminals and hackers. ”                  

********************************************Read More

About support_2ab8

Check Also

Azerbaijan and Armenia agree to a pause in fighting – CNN, CNN

Azerbaijan and Armenia agree to a pause in fighting – CNN, CNN

(CNN)Azerbaijan and Armenia agreed to a "humanitarian ceasefire" in the conflict over the contested enclave of Nagorno Karabakh on Saturday -- one week after truce brokered by Russia fell apart, according to a statement from the foreign ministries of both countries.The new agreement -- set to start at midnight local time (4 p.m. ET Saturday)…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *