A boy who ate a contaminated burger from Lidl has died eight years after the meal.
Nolan Moittie was rushed to intensive care on Saturday morning when his heart stopped beating.
Back in June 2011 at the age of just 23 – months-old he was one of 15 children in the Hauts-de-France region to fall ill having eaten beef contaminated with E.coli.
The sickness left him paralysed for life, robbing him of the ability to walk, talk and even eat.
Nolan was also left severely mentally disabled, having developed neurological sequelae from a previous disease.
Eight years after he ate the burger he died in hospital at the age of just ten.
The other children affected by the infection have developed conditions that will hinder the function of their kidneys for life.
Six years after the E.coli scandal became public knowledge the leaders of Seb-Cerf, which marketed the frozen meats responsible, were put on trial in the northern French town of Douai.
The company’s former boss Guy Lamorlette was sent to prison for three years having been found guilty of failing to carry out proper checks on the meat.
At a February hearing the 78 – year-old pointed the finger of blame at Laurent Appere, the company’s former quality manager who died just before the trial began.
Top news stories from Mirror Online
Lamorlette is said to be considering an appeal.
Nolan’s family lawyer, Florence Rault, told Le Parisien: “I hope that the person responsible for this tragedy will have the decency to withdraw his appeal on points of law .
“At the first trial, he did not even want to watch Nolan, now he must serve his sentence and Nolan’s parents must be able to be compensated and mourn .
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings