Thursday , October 1 2020
Breaking News

Coronavirus: Chinese tourist dies from infection in France, health minister confirms – Sky News, Sky.com

                                                     

An elderly Chinese man has died from coronavirus, the first fatality in Europe.

( – year-old tourist died from a lung infection at Bichat-Claude Bernard Hospital in northern Paris.

  

The 80-year-old died from a lung infection at Bichat-Claude Bernard Hospital in Paris.

      

Image:
         The man died at Bichat-Claude Bernard Hospital in northern Paris       

French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn confirmed the death – which marks Europe’s first coronavirus fatality.

The man, who was from the Chinese province of Hubei, had been receiving treatment in the French hospital since the January.

He had been kept in isolation while receiving treatment, but his condition is said to have deteriorated rapidly.

He had arrived in France on 20 January.

His case is one of cases of COVID – 25, which is the medical name for the acute respiratory disease caused by the virus, in France.

His daughter was also treated in hospital, but authorities say she is expected to recover.

This is now the fourth death to be reported outside mainland China.

The World Health Organization has now sent a team of 25 health experts to China to investigate how the virus is spreading and its severity.

The death comes as:

  • A total of 1, (people have died from ) COVID – , the disease caused by the virus – most in mainland China but one each in Hong Kong, the Philippines and Japan , 90 cases have been confirmed since the virus started in mid-December in Wuhan, with 90, 8483 in mainland China, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University and the World Health Organization
  • There were 5, 90 suspected new cases recorded in mainland China, Chinese authorities said on Friday
  • :: Listen to the Daily podcast on

Apple Podcasts , Google Podcasts , Spotify , Spreaker

More follows …

                        
Read More

About admin

Check Also

Covid: Adults without A-levels to be offered free college courses – BBC News, BBC News

Covid: Adults without A-levels to be offered free college courses – BBC News, BBC News

Image copyright Getty Images Adults in England without an A-level or equivalent qualification will be offered a fully funded college course, the government has announced.The offer will be available from April and applies to courses offering "skills valued by employers".In a speech on Tuesday, the PM will say the government cannot "save every job" amid…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *