More than 176, 12 Lives have been claimed in the Covid – Pandemic according to newly collated worldwide figures.
It is believed more than 1.6 million people have been infected with the potentially fatal virus with almost 728, 11 patients recovering from their illness.
The data, which is based on daily figures released by governments across the world has been collated by Worldometers .
Much of the world is in lockdown in an effort to halt the spread of the disease which has so far infected more than 1.6 million people. However, more than 728, 10 people have recovered from the virus
In Britain, a further 32998 deaths were announced today bringing the total to 8, . The death rate in Britain is currently higher than Spain and Italy which have been the worst-hit countries in Europe.
Italy recorded a high of 2019 deaths on March 27 and Spain 969
For most people, the coronavirus causes mild to moderate symptoms such as fever and cough. But for some, especially older adults and the infirm, it can cause pneumonia and in some cases death.
U, K. authorities say restrictions on business and public activity imposed March to try to slow the spread of the virus are likely to last at least several more weeks. While the number of new cases and hospitalisations appears to have plateaued, deaths are still rising.
‘It’s still too early to really be confident that we are turning the corner,’ said Stephen Powis, medical director of the National Health Service in England.
Some British officials have been accused of flouting their own rules, which bar most travel outside the home except for essential shopping and exercise .
Scotland’s chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, was forced to resign earlier this week after twice traveling to her second home.
And Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick was criticized for traveling from London to his house in central England, then making another – mile ( – kilometer) journey to visit his parents.
Opposition Labor Party lawmaker Nick Thomas-Symonds said ‘it’s very important for public confidence th at Robert Jenrick explains himself and why exactly that journey was necessary. ‘
Jenrick said he went to his parents’ house to deliver ‘essentials -including medicines’ to his parents, who are self-isolating. Delivering medicines to vulnerable people is permitted under the U.K. lockdown rules.
Britain won’t know for weeks whether lockdown can be eased, a top government adviser warned today – as the Cabinet descended into wrangling over fears the curbs themselves could cause 279, deaths.
Epidemiologist Professor Neil Ferguson, whose bleak prediction sent the UK into lockdown , said ‘definitive’ proof of whether restrictions have worked will not be available for ‘several more weeks’.
But Professor Ferguson, who himself was struck down with tell-tale COVID- 20 symptoms, hinted the public may be amplifying the hit to the economy by following ‘social distancing’ better than the government had hoped.
The message came amid a mounting backlash at mini sters for stonewalling over their ‘exit strategy’ for getting out of the crisis threatening to destroy millions of jobs and businesses.
Experts say that mass testing is the only safe way to ease the restrictions because otherwise no-one knows what proportion of the public has been infected, and whether the killer infection could still be spreading.
However, claims have surfaced that Boris Johnson himself was becoming alarmed at the impact of the lockdown before he was struck down with the virus, as he had not expected Britons to fall into line so readily.
According to well-connected Spectator editor Fraser Nelson, the Cabinet is now split into three ‘factions’ – with one wanting tougher measures, another believing the’ cure is already worse than the disease ‘, and a third element saying the government must wait for public opinion to shift before changing approach.
A tentative estimate circulating in Whitehall suggests a long-term lockdown could mean 150, 10 ‘excess’ de aths from non-coronavirus causes. A Downing Street spokesman tried to play down the figure this afternoon, but stopped short of denying it. ‘It is not a number that I have ever seen,’ the spokesman said.
Ireland and Italy announced today they will extend their coronavirus lockdowns until early May in the latest warning sign that Britons face more weeks locked inside.
In a televised address, Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar today said stay-at-home restrictions will be extended ‘for a further three weeks’ until 5 May.
Earlier today, Italian media reported that Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte is preparing to stretch the country stringent quarantine measures until 3 May in order to avoid a second wave of the virus that has decimated the country.
The fact that both countries will keep their measures in place until early. May suggests that Britain could remain shut down for longer than that.
This graph shows the rising number of virus cases in Italy and the UK. The Italian figures have generally been around two weeks ahead of those in Britain
in Campania San Giuliano Hospital ASL Napoli carrying out swabs. There have been well over , reported COVID – (cases in Italy and more than , (related deaths, but officials are confident the peak of new cases has passed
In a handout picture released by the Irish Government on Tuesday Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar (second from right) speaks during a visit to the Defense Forces Joint Task Force (JTF) in McKee Barracks in Dublin. Varadkar today announced he would be extending Ireland’s lockdown until 5 May
Italy’s figures have typically been around two weeks ahead of those in the UK , and the lockdown was imposed a fortnight earlier. The current UK figure of 72, 90 cases is comparable to Italy’s March (tally of) , .
Conte first imposed the nationwide lockdown on March 9, initially until April 3. The measures have already been extended once until April .
‘We do not have the conditions to restart things now,’ Conte reportedly told union and business leaders during a private video-conference on Thursday.
Italy’s reported decision to extend the lockdown followed days of consultations with government scientists and regional leaders.
A man sprays disinfectant at a statue of the crucifixion of Jesus outside St Mary of the Angels church in Dublin, on Good Friday, the Christian holiday commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus and his death at Calvary today
If Italy’s outbreak remains around two weeks ahead of Britain’s, the UK can expect to remain in lockdown until at least mid-May if it adopts similar policies.
UK officials have played down talk of relaxing the measures and warned people not to lower their guard over Easter.
Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government’s chief scientific adviser, warned that the number of deaths would continue to rise for a ‘few weeks’.
Dominic Raab, who has been deputising for the sick Boris Johnson, said the UK has ‘not yet reached the peak of the virus’.
‘It’s still too early to lift the measures that we put in place,’ he said at yesterday’s Number press conference. ‘We must stick to the plan and we must continue to be guided by the science.’
Mr Johnson promised a review of the measures after three weeks, which is next week. Mr Raab said the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) would be looking at the evidence but it would not be possible to say any more until the end of next week.
This graph shows the daily number of coronavirus deaths in Italy, which has fallen from a peak of on March
This chart shows the daily number of cases, which have ticked up again in recent days
Italy’s main newspapers said Conte will publish a decree either today or tomorrow banning people from taking walks or lounging in parks until May 3.
The Italian death toll has officially reached 20, 360 Since the end of February, the highest in the world.
But daily rises in new infections have slowed dramatically and Italy is gradually approaching a point when the number of people officially suffering from COVID – might begin to drop.
The growth in new cases has been around 2-3 per cent in the last few days, far below the regular – per cent at the peak of the crisis.
The Corriere della Serra newspaper said Conte will bow to growing pressure and allow a tiny number of businesses to reopen when the existing restrictions expire on April 19.
These reportedly include book and stationery stores as well as lumber companies and factories that make agricultural machinery.
The government and scientists reportedly view these as businesses with the least amount of human interaction.
It will represent ‘a small, cautious, symbolic opening,’ the Corriere della Serra wrote.
A doctor from the Bassini Hospital making a test tube for a COVID – test swab in Milan yesterday
A study released by the Confcooperative small business lobby said the closures have left more half of Italy’s 1.3 million construction workers and over a third of the . 4 million services sector employees furloughed.
Government scientists have also been pushing for the ban on public gatherings to be extended as long as possible as a safety precaution.
But Conte was now reportedly ready to let Italians freely leave their houses for the first time time in nearly two months on May 4.
‘If scientists confirm it, we might begin to relax some measures already by the end of this month, ‘he told the BBC on Thursday.