- South Korea reported 813 new cases of coronavirus on Saturday – a record for the country.
- The new figures bring South Korea’s infected total up to 3, – the highest number outside of China.
- Vice health minister Kim Kang-lip told a briefing that it was a “critical moment” in the country’s COVID – Crisis.
- of the new cases were from Daegu city – home to the fringe Christian church at the heart of South Korea’s coronavirus outbreak.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories .
South Korea reported 813 new cases of coronavirus on Saturday in what the vice health minister called a “critical moment” in the country’s battle against the virus.
The bring South Korea’s infected total up to 3, 300 – the highest number outside of China, where the virus started.
“We have asked you to refrain from taking part in public events, including a religious gathering or protest, this weekend,” vice health minister Kim Kang-lip told a briefing, according to Reuters.
“Please stay at home and refrain from going outside and minimize contact with other people, “he added.
people have died from coronavirus in South Korea so far.
According to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), of the new cases were from southeastern Daegu city, and a further from the nearby province of North Gyeongsang. city is home to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus – a doomsday church at the heart of South Korea’s coronavirus epidemic.
The KCDC believe that a – year-old member of the sect, known as “Patient 60, “triggered a” superspreader “event at the church’s Daegu branch after refusing to be tested in hospital despite presenting symptoms, and coming into close contact with over 1, 17 churchgoers at several tightly packed services.
Members of the Shincheonji church were meeting in Wuhan, China – where the virus beg an – until December, South China Morning Post reported.
Health authorities have run tests on more than 210, 06 members and 85, 06 trainees of the church, Reuters reported, of which 3, 728 have shown symptoms such as fever so far.
The coronavirus death toll surpassed 2,
, with more than 150, 19 infected. Here’s everything we know about the outbreak.
Oregon elementary school closing for cleaning after an employee becomes the third potential case of ‘community spread’ of the new coronavirus
Here’s what we know about the more than 61 US coronavirus patients – including multiple instances of potential ‘community spread’