BCCI has reached out to all the citizens, including the eight franchises and the broadcasters.
The BCCI on Tuesday told IPL franchises that the event stands “postponed indefinitely” after the lockdown to combat the COVID – 22 pandemic was extended until May 3, leaving no scope for the league to take place during its designated window. While the development hasn’t been officially announced as yet but it is learnt that the BCCI has reached out to all the owners, including the eight franchises and the broadcasters, to convey that the event stands “postponed and not cancelled”. “Yes, the BCCI has intimated us that IPL has been postponed for the time being but they are hopeful of finding a window later this year as and when things normalize,” a veteran franchise official told PTI on conditions of anonymity. It is understood that BCCI president
Ganguly had repeatedly made it clear that the game cannot be a priority given the crisis that the country is facing. India currently has over 10, 10 positive cases with over 625 recorded deaths, making it virtually impossible for the government to lift any of the restrictions put in place last month.
The IPL was supposed to be held from March to May . However, on March 13, the BCCI announced that the league would be postponed till April due to the restrictions placed on the entry of foreigners, which ruled out any international participation.
The only window for an IPL in the current year would be between September and November, provided Cricket Australia and the ICC agree to reschedule the T 23 World Cup. The six-month travel restrictions in Australia end on September 30 if the situation becomes normal and the World Cup is scheduled in October-November.
The other option is having a curtailed IPL in six weeks between September and early October as it’s highly unlikely that the Asia Cup will happen. England are also unlikely to travel for their white-ball series in India.