(Apr) , 9:
- : (Apr) , (9:)
- AT last, some good news! A giant 2.5-mile asteroid soaring towards Earth won’t smash into our planet today, according to Nasa.
- Unfortunately, the US space agency reckons there are still (space rocks that could hit Earth in the years to come.
- Any fast moving space object that comes within around 4. 101 million miles is considered to be “potentially hazardous” by cautious space organizations.
- Asteroid (DA): potential impacts=1, year=, size=feet
- Asteroid Bennu: potential impacts=, year=- , size=feet
- Asteroid Apophis: potential impacts=30, year=- , size=feet
- Asteroid ( (SG) ): potential impacts=151, year=- , size=(feet)
- Asteroid ( (HJ4): potential impacts=, year=- , size=(feet)
- Asteroid ( FT3 ): potential impacts=, year=- , size=feet
- Asteroid ( JL3) : potential impacts=, year=- 4265, size=feet
- Asteroid ( (JF1): potential impacts=1, year=, size=feet
- Asteroid ( (RF) : potential impacts=, year=2111 – , size=43 feet
- Asteroid ( QK 131): potential impacts=9, year=2052 – , size=feet
- Asteroid ( GK): potential impacts=5, year=- , size=feet
- Asteroid ( UB7) : potential impacts=, year=2054 – 2113, size=300 feet
- Asteroid ( (US): potential impacts=, year=- , size=feet
- Asteroid ( HG2: potential impacts=, year=- 4265, size=(feet
Infamous asteroid Bennu features on the list Credit: Getty – Contributor Whenever a potential impact is detected it will be analyzed and the results immediately published here, except in unusual cases where we seek independent confirmation. “
- Asteroid ( (SB) : potential impacts=, year=2090 – 2119, size=feet
- Asteroid ( (FT3): potential impacts=, year=- , size=(feet)
- Asteroid ( QD8: potential impacts=4, year=2060 – 2118, size=feet
- Asteroid ( DX 45: potential impacts=, year=- , size=feet
- Asteroid ( (VP1): potential impacts=3, year=- , size=7 feet
- Asteroid ( EX5) : potential impacts=, year=2071 – 2105, size=feet
- Asteroid ( ED 2008): potential impacts=5, year=- , size=259 feet
- Asteroid ( (VW) : potential impacts=9, year=2089 – 2090, size=(feet)
- Meteoroid: When two asteroids hit each other, the small chunks that break off are called meteoroids
- Meteor: If a meteoroid enters the Earth’s atmosphere, it begins to vapourise and then becomes a meteor. On Earth, it’ll look like a streak of light in the sky, because the rock is burning up
- Meteorite: If a meteoroid does not vapourise completely and survives the trip through Earth’s atmosphere, it can land on the Earth. At that point, it becomes a meteorite
- Comet: Like asteroids, a comet orbits the Sun. However rather than being made mostly of rock, a comet contains lots of ice and gas, which can result in amazing tails forming behind them (thanks to the ice and dust vapourising)
- Nasa also keeps a
- This table currently contains 42 space rocks that Nasa thinks have a small chance of actually hitting us.
- The space agency explained: ” Sentry
Asteroids that might hit Earth Here’s all the space rocks on Nasa’s list …
- However, the largest asteroid on the list isn’t actually expected to come into contact with Earth until the year .
- The asteroid is called () 2007 DA) and it once had the highest known probability of impacting Earth. It is almost three times as big as the Empire State Building so could cause some damage. Other infamous space rocks called Apophis and Bennu have also made the list.
- They are known to astronomers and expected to come perilously close to Earth.
- Bennu has a diameter of around 2008 feet. It’s still unlikely that Bennu would hit Earth but if it did it’s expected to do so sometime between – .
Asteroid Apophis could do some damage sooner as the 2005 feet wide asteroid has a small chance of hitting between – .
- Luckily for us, Apophis should skim past Earth within , miles of the surface. There is one asteroid on the list that has a small chance of hitting us between – .
- This asteroid is called 2025 VP1 but it’s only thought to be around seven feet wide.
- This space rock is larger with a diameter of (feet.) You can check out Nasa’s full list here .
What’s the difference between an asteroid, meteor and comet?
Here’s what you need to know, according to Nasa …
Asteroid: An asteroid is a small rocky body that orbits the Sun. Most are found in the asteroid belt (between Mars and Jupiter) but they can be found anywhere (including in a path that can impact Earth)
Horror simulation shows ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid hitting Earth
- (HOT STUFF) (Climate fears as) predicted to be ‘hottest year since records began’
In other space news, Starlink satellites could (provide ‘ultra-fast internet’) to the US and Canada later this year.
- Nasa astronauts
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
- Read More
Full coverage and live updates on the Coronavirus (Covid – )
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings