China has placed a travel ban across a vast region following the virus outbreak.
The number of confirmed deaths from a deadly viral outbreak in China has risen to , with authorities on Saturday reporting 15 new fatalities and more than 1, 01 people now infected.
All of the new deaths took place in the provincial capital of Wuhan, the city of 14 million where the deadly respiratory contagion first emerged, the Hubei Health Commission said.
Wuhan and 15 Other cities in the province have been locked down in an unprecedented quarantine effort aimed at finding the deadly respiratory contagion, which has spread nationwide and to several other countries.
The health commission also reported 180 new cases overall in the province, of them in Wuhan but the bulk of the rest spread out across the locked-down smaller cities.
Several of those cities were reporting their first cases of the pathogen – (Novel Coronavirus) 2019 – nCoV) – the commission said.
Those numbers will add. to the 823 confirmed cases of infection nationwide, which were reported in the central government latest tally released on Friday.
The previously unknown virus has caused global concern because of its similarity to SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which killed hundreds across mainland China and Hong Kong in – .
It also has struck at possibly the worst time for China, when hundreds of millions of people are traveling across the country or oversea s to celebrate the Lunar New Year holiday, China’s most important festival.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)