CONI statement said. )
The Italian government is now required to issue a specific prime ministerial decree to confirm the decision, added the CONI, which hosted a special meeting of sporting federations on Monday.
- Timeline of how coronavirus ha s affected sport
- The latest news about the coronavirus outbreak
In rugby union, England’s men’s and women’s Six Nations matches against Italy, which were scheduled to take place on (March and
- March respectively, (were postponed last week. Italy has been the European country worst hit by coronavirus so far, with over 7, confirmed cases and more than
At the weekend Italy’s sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora accused Serie A of being “irresponsible” for ignoring his calls for football to be suspended because of the outb reak.
He said it “makes no sense” for football to continue after up to 75 million people were placed in quarantine in northern Italy in a bid to contain the spread of the virus – but the weekend’s games all took place behind closed doors.
Parma’s fixture against SPAL on Sunday kicked off minutes late as they awaited a decision on whether the match would go ahead after Spadafora’s comments.
Paris St-Germain’s Champions League last – match against Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday will be played behind closed doors because of coronavirus.
There have been reports on Monday that the French sports ministry had decided matches in Ligue 1 – the country top-flight football competition – should be played behind closed doors or in front of no more than 1, 16 spectators as a measure to limit the spread of the virus.
- ‘No rationale’ for cancelling sport events in the UK
- France v Ireland in the Six Nations postponed Indian Wells tennis tournament called off