A baby boy has died after being thrown by a man into the River Irwell.
The tragic inci dent took place in Radcliffe on Wednesday afternoon, at around 4. 25 pm.
Emergency crews rushed to reports of a child in the water.
Police officers confirmed the boy was found some time later and taken to hospital, but later died despite the efforts of specialist doctors.
The MEN understands the baby was thrown into the river from an area near to a bridge at Blackburn Street.
Read more of today’s top stories here
A 22 – year-old man was initially arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
He was then later re-arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody for further questioning.
Greater Manchester Police are understood to be treating the investigation as domestic related.
A large cordon surrounded the surrounding area last night, with some residential streets near to the incident also sealed off.
(More to follow …
More tributes are being left at the scene
More tributes are being left at the scene. These pictures from our photographer Steve Allen.
A lexandra Rucki
This is what we know so far
This is what we know so far ..
- Emergency services were called to reports of a child in the water at the River Irwell, in Radcliffe yesterday at 4. 25 PM.
- The baby boy was found some time later and taken to hospital.
- Despite the efforts of specialist medics, the child died in hospital.
- The MEN understands the baby was thrown into the water near a bridge on Blackburn Street.
- The man remains in custody for questioning.
- Police arrived at the pub and a man was later arrested.
- This morning, police ha ve taped off an alleyway running alongside the river, and a terraced house on nearby River Street.
(A) – year-old man was initially arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, and then later re-arrested on suspicion of murder.
Police are believed to be treating the investigation as domestic related. Witnesses said after the incident a man walked into the Lock Keeper pub and could be seen ‘sat there staring’.
‘RIP little man. Hope you find happiness with your angel wings’
People have been leaving flowers, candles and soft toys on the bridge in Blackburn Street.
One tribute reads: “RIP little man, hope you find happiness with your angel wings”
There’s a cordon around several terraced houses on nearby River Street
An alleyway parallel to the River Irwell is behind police tape
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings