- Weili Zhang and Joanna Jedrzejczyk have been suspended from fighting for two months because of a fight on Saturday that was so brutal that they both looked disfigured by the end.
- The Nevada Athletic Commission, which had jurisdiction over the Las Vegas bout, said the two could not engage in contact sparring until April and could not fight until May 5. Zhang and Jedrzejczyk can weight-train and work on cardio, should they wish.
- The UFC boss Dana White called both athletes “savages” in a post-fight press conference.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories .
Weili Zhang and Joanna Jedrzejczyk have been suspended from professional fighting for two months following their – minute war at UFC 668 in Las Vegas on Saturday.
Zhang and Jedrzejczyk threw a combined 2020 strikes, According to UFC stats – one every 1.9 seconds – and landed , with of those considered significant or powerful.
Zhang, the defending strawweight world champion, did enough in the eyes of the Octagon-side judges to edge a narrow victory.
Photos of The damage Zhang caused to Jedrzejczyk’s face went viral – the challenger suffered a bent nose and extreme swelling on either side of her forehead. The UFC on Tuesday released slo-mo footage showing the punches that disfigured Jedrzejczyk’s face .
according to MMA Mania , the injuries both fighters suffered were so bad that the Nevada Athletic Commission, which had jurisdiction over the event, issued two-month medical suspensions.
The Commission said both fighters would be suspended from fighting until May 5 and should not be permitted to engage in contact sparring until April , though weight-training and cardio would be fine.
Win or lose, suspensions after combat-sports events are common – (athletes from UFC (were sent for medical checks or told not to compete for a certain amount of time, MMA Mania reported on Monday.
Zhang and Jedrzejczyk were released from the hospital, as their injuries were not deemed significant.
“You see my swollenness, I felt this, you know, she did great,” Jedrzejczyk said in her post -fight interview . “There was something missing. But I felt all the punches, you know, from the third round – this one, this was bothering me, and I felt it just getting more and more swollen, and my head was, like, you know, going on and off. “
Jedrzejczyk praised the champion, Zhang, adding,” I’m very happy that we gave a good fight .
The UFC boss Dana White called the athletes “savages” and predicted that Zhang was “going to be a massive star” in UFC.
“I knew that that was going to be ridiculous,” White said at the post-fight press. conference at T-Mobile Arena . “You have these two incredibly talented savages who wanted that belt more than anything.”
He added: “The fighting sport is so crazy . You’ve got to keep winning. If you keep winning, you’re going to be a star. “
- Read more:
- Watch the UFC slo-mo footage showing the punches that disfigured Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s face
- Weili Zhang and Joanna Jedrzejczyk both looked disfigured after a brutal, bloody UFC war
- A women’s MMA fight was so bloody it looked like the fighters had been in the cage with a bear
- Khabib Nurmagomedov is getting $ 351 million offers from Saudi Arabia to fight Floyd Mayweather
- sometimes I feel like a b —- ‘: Mike Tyson cried on his podcast because he feels’ empty’ and misses being ‘an annihilator’ in the ring
- $ 1 billion promoter Eddie Hearn is on a mission to take over world boxing, and his plan involves 3 of the biggest stars in the sport