The Patriots began their latest Super Bowl defense with another championship banner unveiling and a resounding33 – 3win over the Steelers.
– New England Patriots (@Patriots)September 9,
And Rafael Nadal defeated Daniil Medvedec in a five-set thriller to win the U.S. Open.
WHAT. A. MATCH.
After a five-set battle, Nadal wins his (th Grand Slam title 👏) # USOpen👏pic.twitter .com / cKpt2XKge4
– ESPN (@espn)September 9, 2019
Dolphins players reportedly seeking trades: After helping the Patriots win the Super Bowl this past February with a dominant defense, Brian Flores accepted the job to become the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins. Unfortunately for Flores, it looks like it will be a long road to success.
In his first game as coach, Flores’s Dolphins lost to the Ravens at home on Sunday by a staggering59 – 10scoreline. The game was essentially uncompetitive, as Baltimore stormed to a 42 – 3 before it was even halftime.
📱: NFL app // Yahoo Sports app
– NFL (@NFL)September 8, 2019
In the aftermath of the debacle,Mike Florioof Pro Football Talk reported that the loss was “sparking a mutiny.”
“Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, multiple Dolphins players contacted their agents after Sunday’s season-opening blowout loss and directed them to attempt to engineer trades elsewhere,”wrote Florio. “The players believe that the coaching staff, despite claiming that they intend to try to win, aren’t serious about competing and winning.”
Essentially, Florio is reporting that players don’t want to be part of a season in which the Dolphins lose in order to get a better draft pick.
On Sunday evening, the Dolphins said no player had requested a trade, according to theMiami Herald‘s Barry Jackson.
Amid report from PFT that several Dolphins today told their agents to attempt to engineer trades to get them out of Miami, Dolphins say nobody has requested a trade
– Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz)September 8, 2019
The news comes after a report from the (Herald) at the end of August in which an anonymous source claimed players would “revolt”if offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil was traded. Days later, the Dolphins did in facttrade Tunsilto the Texans for multiple draft picks.
In the aftermath of the loss, Flores said, “It starts with coaching, starts with me”:
– Miami Herald Sports (@HeraldSports)September 9, 2019
Miami has also already been on the wrong end of some humor. Former NFL receiver Chad Johnson declared he’s available if Miami is looking for help:
I’ll come back & play for the Dolphins ***https://t.co/8u1QO 70 PV0
– Chad Johnson (@ochocinco)September 9, 2019
And during a local television interview, one Dolphins fan gave his take.
“I don’t think the Dolphins are going to tank,”said the fan. “But, we are fish. If we tank, it’s natural. ”
Of course, the Dolphins’ situation doesn’t exactly improve. Miami’s Week 2 opponent is Flores’s old team: the Patriots. The betting line has opened at a somewhat modest 14 .5, though it’s a home game for The Dolphins.
Dolphins open as 14 1/2 point underdogs to NE next week, perhttps://t.co/VqUK5BHBfM. Good night.
– Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero)September 9, 2019
Trivia: The Patriots are trying to win back-to-back Super Bowls for the first time since an earlier version of the Belichick-Brady dynasty did so in the 2003 – 2004 seasons. In total, seven NFL teams have won consecutive Super Bowls. Can you name all of them?
(Answer at the bottom).
Hint: Four are in the AFC, three are in the NFC.
More from Boston.com:
- Red Sox part ways with president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski
- 5 takeaways from the Patriots’ season-opening win over the Steelers
- 33 thoughts on the Patriots’ 33 – 3 win over the Steelers
- How Tom Brady reportedly reacted to the news of Antonio Brown signing with the Patriots
- The Patriots don’t need Antonio Brown, which makes him a gamble worth taking
- Tony Dungy on the Patriots’ decision to sign Antonio Brown: ‘I’m disappointed in Robert Kraft’
- Randy Moss shares his advice for Antonio Brown: ‘Put up or shut up’
- Bill Belichick had a short response to questions about Antonio Brown
- Tom Brady on Antonio Brown: ‘We’ve just got to figure out how to make it all work’
- A Gronk spike punctuated the Patriots’ Super Bowl 53 banner ceremony
- How Tedy Bruschi thinks the Patriots’ 2019 season will play out
- Antonio Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus: ‘He wants to win a Super Bowl’
- Photos: 19 images from the Patriots’ statement win over the Steelers
How Alex Cora found out about the Antonio Brown news:
Alex Cora: “In the 8th inning, around there, when they announced (AB to the Patriots), I was like what’s going on? There was nothing going on on the field and people were excited. Like when they put the hockey scores on in the Stanley Cup. ”
– Chris Mason (@ByChrisMason)September 8, 2019
It wasn’t exactly a high pressure night in Foxborough (*********************:
Sunday Night mood in New England.pic.twitter.com/afNkfr7vod
– SNF on NBC (@SNFonNBC)September 9, 2019
Michael Bennett’s television introduction:
Michael Bennett: “WAKANDA FOREVER!” ***pic.twitter.com/AF7S (DHk
– The Checkdown (@thecheckdown)September 9, 2019
Tom Brady commented on this Instagram post saying, “I will be better next week.”
On this day: In 1960, the Broncos beat the Patriots13 – 10at Nickerson Field in the first game of the newly formed American Football League.
Daily highlight: Colts safety Malik Hooker made a phenomenal one-handed interception in the end zone to help keep Indianapolis in the game (though the Chargers ultimately prevailed).
📱: NFL app // Yahoo Sports app
– NFL (@NFL) (September 8, 2019
Bonus: Sure, why not.
“False start. Offense. All the linemen except for the center.”pic.twitter.com/6yXvQAUg1F
– The Checkdown (@thecheckdown) September 9, 2019
Trivia answer: Packers, Dolphins, Steelers, 49 ers, Cowboys, Broncos, Patriots
Get the Globe’s updates on the Patriots for free.
Get Point After, delivering Patriots game stats and the inside scoop right to your inbox.
Thanks for signing up!